Federal Skilled Trades Program
The Federal Skilled trades program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.
This program has minimum requirements:
- Plan to reside in a province other than Quebec
- Language ability
A minimum score of Canadian Language benchmark 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing
- Valid job offer of full time employment for a total period of at least 1 year or certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.
- At least 2 years of full-time work experience( or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the 5 years before applying. Job qualification of skilled trade is list below:
Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):
- Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
- Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
- Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
- Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers
Each website has more details about certificates of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade.