The Permanent Resident card
What is permanent resident card?
The permanent resident card (PR card) is the official proof of permanent resident status in Canada.
Who need a permanent resident Card?
Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat.
Who can apply a permanent resident card?
A permanent resident who is living in Canada and meet the time lived requirements can apply for a PR card if:
- Did not receive a PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada;
- A PR card is expired or will expire in less than nine months;
- A PR card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed
- Legally changed the name or gender designation and need to update a PR card
What is requirement for keeping the permanent resident status？
To keep the permanent resident status, the time lived in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years.
What are the document list for permanent resident card?
- Primary identity document
- Two photos
- Proof of residency requirements if you are outside Canada 1095 days or more in the past 5 years
- Birth certificate and school record if you are under 18
- Addition documents if you changed gender designation or name