Parent and grandparent super visa

Canada implemented a long-term Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for applicants seeking to visit their child or grandchild who is either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

The single or multiple-entry super visa allows visitors to stay for a period of up to two years on each entry.

What must I do to obtain a super visa?

In order to obtain a super visa, you will need to apply at a visa office and provide:

  • letter of invitation from your child or grandchild residing in Canada. You must also include your host child or host grandchild’s family composition (dependants, including spouse, children or other relatives that are financially dependent on your host child or host grandchild).
  • one of the following documents to prove that your child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)minimum (a co-signer may be added to meet LICO minimum):
    • Most recent copy of the Notice of Assessment. If you do not have a paper copy of your Notice of Assessment on file, you can view (and print) your tax returns as well as other personal tax information using the CRA’s My Account online service. To register or login, visit My Account.
    • Most recent copy of the T4 or T1
    • Original letter from employer stating title, job description and salary
    • Employment insurance pay stubs
    • If self-employed, a letter from an accountant confirming annual income
    • Proof of other sources of income (pension statement, investments, etc.)
  • evidence of the parent or grandparent relationship to the Canadian citizen or permanent resident you wish to visit (e.g. birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official documents naming you as parent or grandparent)
  • proof that you have private medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year from a Canadian insurance company and that:
    • covers health care, hospitalization and repatriation,
    • provides a minimum coverage of $100 000, and
    • is valid for each entry to Canada and be available for review by a port of entry officer.
Close Menu