Work permit

There are 2 types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.

What is the open work permits?

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:

Who can apply for an open work permit?

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
  • are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  • applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  • are under an unenforceable removal order
  • are a temporary resident permit holder
  • are a young worker participating in special programs

In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible to apply open worker permit.

What is the employer-specific work permit?

An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

  • the name of the employer you can work for
  • how long you can work
  • the location where you can work (if applicable)

In general you need either have a copy of a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an offer of employment number from the employer to include in employer-specific work permit application.

Close Menu